Typically this time of year, travelers in seek of rescuing from winter blues start scouring the internet for springtime/spring break travel ideas and deals. However, a twist on the traditional trend might see many flocking to more unique destinations this spring. According to Booking.com’s 2019 Travel Predictions, over half of travelers would like to visit a destination that none of their friends have been to (51%). The travel booking site’s data shows that there are still savings to be had during the ‘Spring Break’ period (March 11th-April 29th), including a few popular destinations that stood out as being significantly less expensive throughout the seven-week travel period! Below show their findings and some of my top pics based on this.
Week of March 11th – March 17th
- Seattle, Washington: 13% cheaper
Week of March 18th – 24rd
- Boston, Massachusetts: 54% cheaper
- Biloxi, Mississippi: 39% cheaper
- New York, New York: 36% cheaper
- Chicago, Illinois: 30% cheaper
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: 24% cheaper
- Denver, Colorado: 21% cheaper
Week of March 25th – 31th
Week of April 1st – April 7th
- Austin, Texas: 25% cheaper
- Miami Beach, Florida: 20% cheaper
- Anaheim, California: 14% cheaper
- Gatlinburg, Tennessee: 11% cheaper
- Los Angeles, California: 8% cheaper
Week of April 8th – 14th
Week of April 15th – 21st
- Atlanta, Georgia: 33% cheaper
- Las Vegas, Nevada: 25% cheaper
- Nashville, Tennessee: 23% cheaper
- New Orleans, Louisiana: 19% cheaper
- Washington D.C.: 16% cheaper
- San Diego, California: 10% cheaper
Week of April 22nd – 297h
- Phoenix, Arizona: 41% cheaper
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida: 39% cheaper
- Miami, Florida: 36% cheaper
- Portland, Oregon: 28% cheaper
- Clearwater Beach, Florida: 22% cheaper
- Kissimmee, Florida: 19% cheaper
- Daytona Beach, Florida: 14% cheaper
- Orlando, Florida: 10% cheaper
1. Boston, Massachusetts – As Bostonians shake off the chill of winter and the unfair amounts of snow that have been plaguing the city for the last few months, the city is more than ready to offer fresh air, beautiful flowers, and amazing special events to visitors and locals alike. According to booking.com, during the week of March 18th – 24th Boston will be 54% cheaper to visit and stay. From The New England Aquarium Whale Watch to Fenway Park Tours, incredible waterfront seafood joints, and an array of busy sports bars, there is a tonne on offer for every kind of visitor on spring break.
2.. Florida – While Miami tends to be a very popular spring break choice consider staying a little north in spots like Sunny Isles FL (the hidden gem in South Florida) which is set to be 20% cheaper than usual April 1st to 7th and 36% cheaper from April 22nd to 29th to stay. If you are prepared to fly mid-week over those periods, you can also grab flights as low as $200 roundtrip into MIA nonstop. Boasting beautiful uncrowded beaches and within reach of restaurants and legendary nightclubs of Miami to choose from – staying in Sunny Isles you can get the best of FL/Miami spring break without paying peak prices.
3. L.A. – A great spring break option, LA recently made New York Times’ Top 52 Places To Go. LA will be 8% cheaper than usual to visit from April 1st to 7th. Even there where the sun shines nearly 300 days per year, summer is technically high season which means travelers visiting in April get both sunshine AND lower hotel prices. Flight wise you can still score average roundtrip airfares from the northeast for under $300, and LA really has something to do for everyone – from site seeing to hiking or surfing or shopping. Take a ride with Bikes and Hikes L.A. offering hikes to discover some of the City’s most picturesque sunrise and sunset views, take to a board and enjoy the surf camps of Santa Monica, Redondo and Manhattan Beaches or simply take our a star map and explore all the sites that downtown LA has to offer
4. Nevada or Colorado – There are still places that despite the spring weather, winter activities are still in full force. March 18th to 24th, Denver Colorado is 21% cheaper to book accommodation, which offers some of the best skiing in the country. Nevada is another great option (flying into Las Vegas can still be found for under $300 roundtrip from NYC for example) which offers a variety of activities, from casino-going to outdoor activities like hiking and skiing.
5. Texas – Texas temps in the spring are at their best, with on average mid 70s and sunshine forecast. Austin, Texas is set to be 25% cheaper the week of April 1st – April 7th to visit and is known for its eclectic live-music, parks and lakes for hiking, biking, swimming and boating. Houston, Texas will also be 24% cheaper to stay the following week, and is a playground for visitors; the downtown’s entertainment hub, Avenida Houston, for example, will be busy this spring break, with free activities taking places every hour from live ice carving to roller skating and waterslides.