1. LOW AIRFARE PRICES
2019 WAS A RECORD-BREAKING YEAR FOR AIRFARE – AVERAGE ROUND TRIP PRICES DROPPED TO THEIR LOWEST LEVELS IN THE PAST 4 YEARS. THE FLIGHT TRACKING APP, HOPPER (WHICH TRACKS YOUR FLIGHTS AND LETS YOU KNOW WHEN THEY GO UP/DOWN IN PRICE) PREDICTS THAT AIRFARE WILL CONTINUE TO GO DOWN IN 2020, WITH JANUARY PRICES PROJECTED TO BE THE LOWEST SINCE 2013, AVERAGING $196 ROUND-TRIP IN THE US. THIS IS DRIVEN BY A FEW KEY FACTORS, INCLUDING COMPETITION IN THE MARKET AND THE ENTRY OF LOW COST CARRIERS.
2. UNDER SOLD DESTINATIONS AND ALTERNATIVE AIRPORTS
DESTINATIONS AND AIRPORTS THAT AREN’T AS TYPICALLY POPULAR WILL BE ON THE RISE AN EFFORT TO COMBAT THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF OVER-TOURISM AND BRING THE JOY OF TRAVEL BACK. A GREAT EXAMPLES OF THIS IS SEEN IN ONTARIO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. IT’S THE FASTEST GROWING AIRPORT IN THE ENTIRE U.S. FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW, AND ACTS AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO OTHER MAJOR SOCAL AIRPORTS TO SAVER TRAVELERS STRESS, TIME AND TRAFFIC.
3. SOLO TRAVEL AN CITY BREAKS
A RECENT EXPEDIA SURVEY FOUND THAT OVER 50% OF SOLO TRAVELERS ENJOY GOING ON TRIPS TO EXPLORE NEW CITIES AND MEET NEW PEOPLE. CITY’S LIKE LOS ANGELES ARE A GREAT DESTINATION FOR THE SOLO TRAVELER WITH BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, HIKING TRAILS AND GREAT WEATHER MOST OF THE YEAR. LOS ANGELES ACTUALLY HAS A PRETTY EXCITING DINING SCENE TOO – DINEL.A., WHICH OCCURS TWICE A YEAR, PROVIDES A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR TRAVELERS TO EXPLORE THE CITY’S VIBRANT DINING SCENE IN A BUDGET-FRIENDLY WAY.
4. CULTURE AND HISTORY
THE IDEA OF VISITING SOMEWHERE THAT ENGAGES THE MINDS IS CERTAINLY GROWING, PARTICULARLY IN THE US. DESTINATIONS LIKE NANTUCKET IN THE NE ARE RICH IN CULTURE AND HISTORY AND PROVIDE A TONNE FOR EVERYONE TO EXPERIENCE – FROM THEIR HISTORICAL WHALING MUSEUM TO THE CISCO BREWERY, COBBLED STREETS AND ARTISAN SHOPS. A SHORT DISTANCE FROM MA, IT’S ACCESSIBLE VIA SEASTREAK FERRY OR PUBLIC CHARTER FLIGHT.
TINY TRIPS ARE ALSO SET TO BECOME MORE POPULAR AS FEWER PEOPLE HAVE TIME FOR LONG TRIPS. IT HAS BEEN FOUND THAT MORE AMERICANS ARE USING THEIR VACATION TIME TO DO A “MICRO-CATION.” IT’S THOUGHT THAT THESE ARE MORE BENEFICIAL TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH, YOU CAN BE MORE SPONTANEOUS, AND CAN EVEN AVOID JET LAG. GREAT MICRO-CATION OPTIONS LIKE NYC AND MIAMI WILL BE ON THE RISE COME 2020.
1. Travel deals sites like… Dunhill Travel Deals – if you visit their site now through Cyber Monday you are going to find travel companies offering incredible travel deals for 2020. For example, you can save up to $1,000 on a Sandals resorts or visit Italy for 10 nights w/ airfare for just over $1000. If you want to get great deals on travel year round, sign up for Dunhills Travel Deals’ newsletter. See dunhilltraveldeals.com.
2. Hotel Groups – InterContinental Hotels Group – During their Cyber Sale, which runs until Dec 17th, you can get 20% off at Intercontinental and participating hotels like Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza, – for travel now through 2020. Also if you are an IHG Rewards Club member, you can save up to an additional 10% at participating locations around the world. Head to IHG’s Cyber Sale page (IHG.com/CyberSale) to find deals.
3. Resorts – like… Atlantis, Paradise Island in the Bahamas, boasting an eco marine habitat, a waterpark, casino and more. Between now and December 2, Atlantis offers their Five Days Of Savings – where you can view the website each day to uncover a different offers from 35% room savings, up to $600 resort credit or a complimentary night, 5th night free and more. If you book to be there on December 30, Atlantis will welcome the Jonas Brothers for an exclusive performance (tickets are still available)
4. Amusement Parks – like… Discovery Cove, Orlando – A great option if your looking to book something for the whole family. If you book between now and Dec 2nd, you get can up to a 40 percent savings on reservations. Discovery Cove is an all-inclusive day resort with animal encounters – where guests can do everything from swim with dolphins and snorkel among tropical fish to hand-feeding exotic birds. Book online at DiscoveryCove.com.
Fall travel is beautiful for many reasons…you can enjoy walking around without screaming summer heat or freezing in winter winds. Fall also means more fall foliage and less crowds. Above all, it is ‘shoulder season’ in terms of grabbing great deals on flights and accommodation this is your best bet. According to one of the world’s largest digital travel companies – booking.com – there are a whole bunch of destinations that are less expensive during the fall months as opposed to the most expensive times of the year. For example, travel to San Diego in October and receive 24 % savings or travel to Niagra Falls in New York State in October and receive 38%. Booking.com also finds that almost half (48%) of global travelers said that they plan on taking a family vacation in 2019 – so family trips are clearly becoming a popular option in the upcoming months. However couples or single travelers will also find plenty of deals out there for fall travel.
Given that the northeast gets some of the most aesthetically beautiful weather, consider staying close to home and visiting New Hampshire, CT or taking advantage of NY city break. Hotels like The High Line Hotel in NY, are a great option for families – with their annual Halloween Dog Costume Parade held on Oct 27th featuring face painting and more, and the hotel’s “urban pumpkin patch” courtyard where parents can grab fall themed cocktail’s at Ingo’s in the garden or take advantage of the hotel’s ‘Pumpkin Service, Bottle Service’ – where a master-pumpkin-carver will make your custom design come to life on a pumpkin — all while you sip on a bottle of bubbly!
Looking to go a bit further? Travelers really looking to save money should consider places that are typically associated with summer vacation like Southern CA for example. Ontario International Airport (ONT) is a preferable example to fly into, being approximately 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in the center of Southern California…with direct flights on Jetblue that fly into and out of JFK. So if you’re looking for a less stressful experience and want to beat LA traffic, it’s a great option. Southern California is known for its beautiful beaches, stoic mountains, beautiful landscapes, amusement parks and those famous beaches like Huntington and Venice, which will all have great weather with less crowds this time of year.
What about booking ahead for thanksgiving? Holiday travelers should make their plans now and begin booking their flights for Thanksgiving asap. Flying in the Monday before Thanksgiving is looking to be the cheapest day to travel before the holiday, Maintaining a degree of flexibility will help you, as well as tracking your ideal destinations with flight tracking apps which can notify you when the best time to book is based on a fare drop.